Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A trip across country-Georgia to California

The drive to California with my little brother was somewhat of an adventure. We started driving the afternoon of June 21st to head to our parents in Big Bear, California. The plan wasn't to drive straight thru at the beginning, but low and behold Matthew my brother just wanted to get to the destination! I brought my mechanic/brother with me for a very good reason, best travel companion ever :), or rather someone to fix my auto if anything should happen! Hehe! Being prepared for something that might not happen, but the possibility of it happening... is one of my strong suits! We did end up breaking down in New Mexico! Where it just so happened someone we know's brother lives in the town we broken down in!! Some may call it "fate," I call it a "God-thing." After having driven about 1600 miles, we were stuck in the desert! In the middle of the HOT, 12pm, 110 degree weather, 24 hrs of driving, and no sleep!! And now having to diagnose the car problems, purchase all the supplies, and install everything, just to find out that wasn't what was causing the problem. He started with the cheapest problem and continued to the most expensive! Changed the distributor cap, spark plugs, and fuel pump. It ended up being the fuel pump that was the problem! It took awhile, but Matthew finally figured it out. It took around 12hrs (from break down to fixed car) to get back on the road to our final destination. We were at Auto Zone purchasing supplies and using their tools, and they closed right as he finished fixing the car, it was amazing timing!! With my mechanic brother sleeping in the seat next to me at 12am, finally! I drove almost the remaining 600 miles right up until my brother woke up, he said I looked at him and said "I'm not going to make it up the mountain." we switched drivers, and I immediately fell asleep! He drove the remaining 60 miles to my parents house. We arrived early saturday morning June 23rd. Estimated trip time: 41hrs. when it should have only taken 34hrs, with no breakdown. The Lord truly was watching over us!

Such an adventure, and a great couple days spent with my awesome little brother! Though there we "mishaps" along the way, I had fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment